Campers are placed in cabins based on gender, age, and grade level. We will do our best to fulfill cabinmate requests. To guarantee a request, campers must list each other, be of similar age, and attend the same camp.
Gender Expansive Cabin Information
We work hard to affirm campers for who they are when it comes to family background, racial identity, religious beliefs, gender identity, and more. In order to offer a gender-identity affirming experience for all campers, we would like to offer a cabin for campers who identify outside the gender binary and allies so they can be with other supportive campers and staff. We hope that by creating a gender-expansive cabin option, campers will be able to fully be themselves in a safe and inclusive space.
-How do I register? On the cabin request form of registration select “yes” if available, my camper is interested in being placed in a gender expansive cabin.
- I’m not familiar with the term non-binary gender identity or gender expansiveness. What is all this about? According to www.genderspectrum.org, gender-expansive is an umbrella term used for individuals that broaden their own culture’s commonly held definitions of gender, including expectations for its expression, identities, roles, and/or other perceived gender norms. Gender-expansive individuals include those with transgender and non-binary identities, as well as those whose gender in some way is seen to be stretching society’s notions of gender.
- My camper is a boy or a girl and isn’t questioning their gender identity. Is that still going to be okay? Is this decision going to change their time at camp? Unless you specifically ask for your camper to be in this cabin, they will stay in the cabin you specified when you signed up for camp. We are offering this option to our campers who opt in.
- Is this definitely happening? It is subject to interest. We would love to have enough interested campers to make this a reality, but we are not 100% sure it will happen this summer. If we don’t have enough campers enroll to fill a cabin, we will be in touch with interested families to make a plan.
- How will my camper change in this cabin? There will be private changing spaces in the cabin for campers to change in.
- What if my camper says they want to be in the gender-inclusive cabin once they arrive at camp? While we recognize that identities are often in flux and may change, we aren’t able to change a camper’s cabin assignment once they are checked in at camp. Of course, it is up to you as a parent/ guardian which cabin assignment is right for your camper.
- My child is interested in this cabin option, but I don’t want their experience at camp to be ALL about gender. This cabin will simply be a “home base” at camp, and all campers will participate in the normal program at camp. We hope this space will allow them a chance to have some conversations about gender if they want to, but more importantly to just be themselves and enjoy the regular parts of the camp experience.