-Cabins for girls, regardless of sex assigned at birth, non-binary campers who feel safe in this space, and Trans* boys who feel safer in this space.
-Cabins for boys, regardless of sex assigned at birth, non-binary campers who feel safe in this space, and Trans* girls who feel safer in this space.
-Gender Expansive cabins for any and all who feel comfortable in this space, including allies of campers. *Only able to offer based on interest of 6-12 campers to fill a cabin.
Campers are placed in cabins based on gender identity listed on the registration form, age, grade, or if they selected the gender inclusive cabin option.
We will do our best to fulfill cabinmate requests. To guarantee a request, campers must list each other, be of similar age, and attend the same camp. During registration you can list your first choice cabinmate request and then list any other additional requests or information. You are also able to update cabin-mate request information at anytime leading up to camp.
A variety of reasons may result in us or a camper to believe a cabin switch is necessary. It could be due to medical accommodations, cabin mate requests, or the cabin that they were assigned to does not fit their gender or preference. Should the situation arise we would be in contact with caregivers to come to a decision.
Non-Disclosure of Cabin Mate's Identities
In keeping with our values of safety and respect, we will honor each individual’s right to privacy. Families will not be notified of the legal names, medical histories, gender identity, or any other personal information about a child’s cabin mates or counselors before, during or after the camp session.
Gender Expansive Cabin Information
We work hard to affirm campers for who they are when it comes to family background, racial identity, religious beliefs, gender identity, and more. In order to offer a gender-identity affirming experience for all campers, we would like to offer a cabin for campers for all gender identities and allies so they can be with other supportive campers and staff. We hope that by creating a gender-expansive cabin option, campers will be able to fully be themselves in a safe and inclusive space.
-How do I register? On the cabin request form of registration select “yes” if available, my camper is interested in being placed in a gender expansive cabin.
- I’m not familiar with the term non-binary gender identity or gender expansiveness. What is all this about? According to www.genderspectrum.org, gender-expansive is an umbrella term used for individuals that broaden their own culture’s commonly held definitions of gender, including expectations for its expression, identities, roles, and/or other perceived gender norms. Gender-expansive individuals include those with transgender and non-binary identities, as well as those whose gender in some way is seen to be stretching society’s notions of gender.
- Is this definitely happening? It is subject to interest. We would love to have enough interested campers to make this a reality, but we are not 100% sure it will happen this summer. If we don’t have enough campers enroll to fill a cabin, we will be in touch with interested families to make a plan.
- How will my camper change in this cabin? There will be private changing spaces in the cabin for campers to change in.
- What if my camper says they want to be in the gender-inclusive cabin once they arrive at camp? It is up to you as a caregiver to decide which cabin assignment is right for your camper. Should your camper ask to switch we will be in contact with you.
- My child is interested in this cabin option, but I don’t want their experience at camp to be ALL about gender. This cabin will simply be a “home base” at camp, and all campers will participate in the normal program at camp. We hope this space will allow them a chance to have some conversations about gender if they want to, but more importantly to just be themselves and enjoy the regular parts of the camp experience.